Calling yourself 'tranny' is the new club kid...


Thanks to Ma Butcher for this
Me and my big mouth..... I posted the above subject line on Facebook last night and hilarity ensued. 


(Things is, others have said the same, yet as I moan publicly, the bitcherati get a fall girl. 
And to clarify...this comment has nothing do to with transgender people but those on the alternative drag scene (myself included) who refer to themselves as trannies.)


Tranny....the word is prefixed with TRANS...transform, translate, transport, transmutate ...to change or go from one thing to another. When someone refers themselves as a tranny, I'd like to think they start out one thing and end up something completely different.

Now this can take form in various ways...some spend vast amounts of money on couture, others go the local pound shop or rifle through bins to source their look. Some craft their makeup like sculpture, others throw some glitter on and hope for the best. It's all good.  I don't believe in label snobbery and anyone who transforms with a smile and challenges mainstream dross deserves applause and love.

However....

This weekend, I worked and performed at the worlds best club, NYC Downlow at the Lovebox Festival. On Saturday, the girls pulled some great looks, worked their butts off and were rather marvelous.
Sunday, some turned up, shoved a nasty wig on their heads, didn't contribute to the Downlow in any way, expected special attention, bitched, complained and moaned . These are the people I have a problem with.
They sat backstage being louche, pouty, did sod all and drank all the booze meant for those who were working. Honey...why sit back there? If you're dressing for attention, get out there and take it to the people because that's where the party is.

I've worked at the Downlow from it's first outing at Glastonbury in 2007. Maybe I shouldn't, but I care about it being fabulous and successful. When you book an actor, DJ, comedian, acrobat or anyone from the field of entertainment, you expect them to have knowledge, enthusiasm and passion for their craft. I blindly hope trannies, regardless of experience, to have the same. I'm really not arsed if they're polished or not, just that they bring something instead of taking.

This isn't a dig at club kids or trannies..just a moan about the lazy. I shouldn't care but I do. So there.

Holestar and Jonny Woo Photo by Tony Wood
On a lighter note....overall, was a great weekend and we were relativity unscathed by the weather. I missed Chic, Chaka and Grace but performed a new Warboy track, Dressed as a Girl with Jonny Woo on the main stage, introduced legends Optimo, Andrew Weatherall and Penny Arcade at the Downlow before dragging myself home (had planned for after party but the bones said no.)



I'm going all establishment tomorrow evening (Thurs 21st June) and DJing at the National Portrait Gallery for their Queen exhibition where I'll be playing 60 years of pop queens. Well jiggle my tits!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment